Search

31 Days Challenge

 http://bellastoriablog.blogspot.com/2013/10/31-days-of-thrifting-refashion.html


Wow guys.  They didn't call this a "challenge" for nothin'!

I learned a lot from participating in The Nester's 31 Day Writing Challenge, especially from failing miserably.  No really.  I learned a lot about my writing style and ridiculous perfectionist tendencies, not to mention a serious respect for "professional bloggers" who write posts everyday.  Wow.  Just...wow.

I did manage to get a few good posts out.


We made a super easy, super thrifty DIY fringe scarf (my 5 year-old helped!)...

DIY fringe scarf from white t-shirt - easy peasy!
 

Shared some thrifty holiday crafts...

DIY thrifty skull decor for Halloween - going scary-glam!



Showed creative ways to add length to shirts, skirts, and dresses...

Think about news ways to add length to your short t-shirts and skirts - bye-bye camis!



Scored some chic vintage mirrors and frames, plus a silver platter...

Thrifted gold mirrors and frames - score!


I shared a buffet find that's going to get a bright, cheery makeover for our loft...

Vintage buffet is going to get some coral love!


We talked about how to dress for your body type and what to look for when thrift shopping...

What shape are you?  It's easy to dress to look awesome when you know what to look for!



Aaaaand, I shared my amazing thrift shop score (Deseret Industries) that landed me items from a handful of designers!

Recycle, Upcycle, Refashion love for some thrifted clothing haul!

All said and done, I did okay.  I did more posts last month than I ever have before, so that was a great accomplishment for me.  What I didn't do well was realize that the point of this exercise was to write a little every day.  It didn't need to be a tutorial, or an amazing before and after, or totally epic.  I also intended the month to have a broader subject (hence the "Thrifting and Refashion" topic), but since I began the month with a fashion and dressing for your body type mini-series, I felt like readers then expected to hear all about refashioning and clothes for the month.  Suddenly I felt trapped into doing a bunch of clothing refashions when really, I also wanted to share my thrift shop finds and decorating ideas for the month (it was my second favorite holiday to decorate for, after all)!

In retrospect, I should have done what any good blogger will tell you: Write about what you want to write about, and don't let yourself fall into the trap of trying to write about what you think your readers want.

Regardless of a few sleepless nights staying up to finish a post, a couple semi-anxiety attacks, three emergency dentist appointments, and fighting with sunlight (I tend to craft/refashion at night which equal no bueno tutorial pics), I'd say I actually had a good time.

Will I do it again next year?  Maybe.  Did I learn something?  Yup.  Am I glad I participated?  You betcha!

I hope to see y'all around.  I still want to share those t-shirt tutorials I kept promising (I'll be posting them in the 30 Day Challenge list to keep with the theme).

*****************

Who else participated in the Challenge?  What did you learn?  Did you have to blow into a paper bag a few times to keep up with posting?