Search

Why I Ditched My Favorite Cleaning Products



I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I don't mind cleaning just about anywhere else, but I'll avoid cleaning bathrooms like it's the plague.

It wasn't always this way.  When I lived alone in my first little apartment, my bathroom was always clean.  It was easy!  I'd open all the windows, do a little scrubbing, take out the trash, and voila!

But then I married, and had three kids.

And...I don't think I need to say much more - ha!

There are two main reasons I don't like cleaning them now (besides the accumulative gross factor due to high volume that I didn't experience as a single gal):

1. Overwhelming smell (the chemicals!)


I don't know what it is about bathroom cleaners, but they are SO BAD!  I was always searching for cleaners without ammonia, chlorine, phthalates, sodium hydroxide, and other harmful chemicals and additives that are meant to disinfect and remove mineral buildup.

2. My Kids


Knowing most bathroom cleaners are awful for you (even my dad has reminded me as an adult to be careful not to inhale the fumes while cleaning) so I don't like my kids to help because it just seems unhealthy and a little dangerous for them.  Which means this mama has to do all the bathroom cleaning herself.  Ugh.


laundry room with white towels and Thieves non-toxic cleaner



The top 10 most dangerous chemicals in your home are:

Air fresheners (like plug ins or candles), chemical cleaning supplies for your counters, floors, toilets, drain and oven cleaners, furniture polish, dishwasher soap, and dish soap! 


Needless to say, a better solution was in order.  I think everyone that is curious about essential oils is looking for a solution!

Maybe it's non-toxic cleaning products or better-for-you skincare products.  It might be that someone in your family has asthma or health concerns that don't do well with harsh chemicals or synthetics.  Perhaps you're just looking for something to help your stress levels and provide some relaxation.


There are so many reasons to love essential oils!

I wasn't always a believer, though...

As I said, I was introduced to oils decades ago, but sometimes it just takes a solid personal experience to really make it click.

If you're wondering how oils and non-toxic cleaning products like Thieves can work for you, read my experience below of how I discovered a brilliant DIY bug spray that makes it so my kids can play outside, and how I completely alleviated my seasonal allergies using oils!

My Why


It began a few years ago while I began getting serious about eliminating toxins and harsh chemicals from the products and cleaners we use at home.  I wanted find better ways to clean our home, fuel our bodies, care for my skin, and especially more proactive about the health of my family.

I'd heard about Young Living years ago after moving to northern Utah near their main facility.  I didn't give it much thought until I learned of their natural cleaning products, especially the Thieves concentrate, that I really began researching the company.

Turning Point


After a LOT of research into essential oils, I invested in a basic oil kit.  Like many, I began by diffusing oils that smelled good and just made me happy!  The glow and soft mist of the diffuser uplifted my mood while I washed dishes or did my nightly routine before bed.  It literally made me smile to look at it! #hygge

But I wanted more.

I wanted to test oils for all their hype and see if they'd actually help more than my mood (not that it's not worth that alone, especially in today's crazy world!).

The first thing I made was a DIY bug spray.  A little witch hazel with peppermint, tea tree, lavender, eucalyptus, and a splash of lemon in a 4 oz amber glass spray bottle...a little shake shake...and WOW!

My kids hated playing outside in the spring and early summer because of the biting gnats and hungry mosquitoes.  I hated to spray them down with Deet and chemicals, and the "natural" sprays I'd tried didn't work well at all, and weren't all that natural after all!

The next time they wanted to play outside it was early evening when the bugs come out at full force.  I misted them with the DIY essential oil spray I'd made the day before and crossed my fingers it would do something, but fully expected my little one to come in crying 5-10 minutes later with a mass of gnats biting her scalp.

To my amazement, they played outside for an HOUR!  When they came back in I asked how the spray worked and they all replied that the bugs had stayed away!

They didn't get even one single bite!

A True Believer


After the bug spray I was convinced oils were awesome.  I told all my friends about the DIY spray with no chemicals and even smelled great!

One morning, a few weeks later, I woke up with crazy allergies.  My eyes were scratchy and hot and wearing my daily contacts felt like I had poured sand in my tear ducts.

Then I had a crazy idea.

I knew most, if not all, of the oils that were in that bug spray I'd made were also good for allergy symptoms.  So, I grabbed that little bottle and simply smelled through the spray cap.  After about ten seconds I felt huge relief!

What?!

A couple more whiffs a few minutes later and my eyes felt 95% normal.  I spent the rest of my day as usual, only stopping to take a quick smell of that yummy essential oil blend a couple times in the afternoon.

I seriously couldn't believe how well it had worked, and so quickly, too!  No allergy medication I'd ever used worked that fast.  Not even close!




That was the turning point for me when I realized just how useful oils could be for my family.  I still believe that western medicine has it's place, but there's a reason that essential oils, plants, and holistic approaches to life and health have been used successfully for thousands of years.

There is definitely a place for both, and I'm excited to discover more ways to use my starter kit and other amazing products to support our health and well-being.

I invite you to ask me any questions you may have - I know you've got 'em!


Hugs & High Fives!
♥ Holly

You can sit with us!  Join me on Instagram @mybellastoria