Search

Yup, Another Do-It-Yourself Chalkboard

It's no secret that chalk board paint is a huge trend right now. It's like the skinny jeans of blogland. I would love to paint a tiny wall between our kitchen and dining nook with chalkboard paint, but alas, I rent. No dice. No matter! There's plenty of great ideas out there that are both budget and renter friendly. Here's my latest:



I started off with a Dollar Tree silver colored platter. Ain't she purdy?



Originally, I planned on keeping the edges silver, buuuuuut, why not have a little fun and add a little color?

I just spray painted the platter, focusing on the edges/border. I didn't tape off the center for this step since I'd be adding black chalkboard paint later.



After about three light coats of aqua, I let her dry overnight to be sure I wouldn't ruin the border paint by adding tape. I used 2" masking tape to cover the border and protect my pretty turquoise framing.



I found that a few smaller pieces of masking tape worked best around the corners to achieve a nice rounded edge.



Oooooh, ahhhhh.

Important: It's definately best to do 5-6 light coats of the chalk paint. You only need to wait a couple minutes between coats, too, which is great for us instant gratification folks. :)



And here I thought I went overboard with all that tape. Turns out spray paint kinda gets in all the nooks and crannies. Go figure.

Not to worry. I was excited to take the final photos, but I'll be spraying a little aqua paint into a paper cup and using a small art brush to touch up that sneeky chalk paint.



Cute for the kitchen, don'tcha think?



Little birdy wanted to help keep watch over the chalk. Such a good boy.



There you have it! Nothing super mind altering or life changing, but totally fun and frugal! I have a feeling that it won't stay in the kitchen for long. My two year old daughter is already eyeing this baby...


Anyone else makeover something fun and frugal with their chalkboard paint? I'd love to hear your ideas! My next project...adding chalkboard paint labels to my glass pantry canisters. Wouldn't that make a great gift?


Linky Linky:

Chic on a Shoestring
My Romantic Home
Whipper Berry
A Diamond in the Stuff