Search

Thrifty Chic Halloween Glitter Skulls

Halloween is on it's way!

What?!

I guess that's what happens when you have a baby in July...the summer just blows right by!
Whoosh.

And while I haven't had the time I'd like to complete all of the half baked furniture projects around here, I have had time (mostly around 3 a.m.) to peruse a few of the lovely fall home tours and Halloween craft projects circulating the web.  Which, in turn, reminded me of one of my favorite little spooky projects I shared on the blog a couple years ago: Glam Glitter Skulls!



Spooky never looked so adorable, am I right?

You'll Need:

plastic skull
white glue or Mod Podge
wide angle craft brush
glitter
craft wire or twist tie
hot glue gun (low temp)
ribbon scraps
festive garland scaps
scrapbook paper
scissors
optional: spray paint

I started with pre-glittered skulls that actually light up - I know!  But you could easily buy some dollar store skulls and make your own glitter skulls.

1. Glitter your skull:  Paint Mod Podge or thinned Elmer's glue over entire skull and add glitter.  Let dry completely.  This will be messy, so prepare yourself by sprinkling glitter over newspaper or paper plate.  For different effects, you may want to spray paint the skulls first, too.

2. Cut your paper crown:  Cut patterned scrapbook paper about 10" in length and 4" in height. I "eyeballed" how wide I wanted the crown then cute to size, adding a dollop of hot glue to secure the ends.  You can cut out triangles to create the points in the crown before or after securing the ends.  I tried both ways, but found that I liked gluing the ends together then cutting the points where I liked.



*********************

Check out the Thrifty Glam Glitter Skulls link for the full tutorial and more pics!

These skulls are easy and really fun to put together.  Your kids might even want to help get their glitter on or help make "junk bows"!

Happy Halloween!